By Katie Kelly
for The Limerick Post

LIMERICK PA – Historical societies have become valuable venues to learn about an area’s history, and the Spring-Ford Area Historical Society – a non-profit organization that provides local historical information to the public – is a similarly trusted resource, its members say.

An antique cash register that once was used in the Hotel Freed is on display at the Spring-Ford Area Historical Society in Royersford

An Oct. 28, 1958, open house gathered future society members together at what was then the Royersford PA train station. Several area residents brought collections of items and pieces from around the area to display. Its first officers were subsequently elected Nov.  13 of the same year; Lee Warner was installed as the president. Meetings were held monthly in a community room at Phoenix Savings and Loan.

It wasn’t until May 1988 that a grand opening of the society’s museum was held at the train station.  It subsequently moved, once in 1995 and again in May 2000, to its current location at 526 Main St., Royersford.

Editor’s Note: The Post thanks Spring-Ford High School student Katie Kelly for this bit of Limerick (PA) Township history. Katie aspires to be a writer and journalist; her mother, Beth, is a well-known photographer and marketing expert. Together they are producing historical notes for The Post, which are published on Wednesdays.

Photo by Beth Studt

Advertisements